Thursday, March 01, 2007

El Mundo Nuevo

Next week, I will be taking a vacation with my roommates to La Republica Dominicana for a seven day, six night tour of mayhem and debauchery. I never liked when travel advertisements do that thing where they compartmentalize the trip--it seems weird to me. But the real point is that I will be sitting in warm climates, relaxing with my friends, and exploring a native culture.

If I were not confident that my readers already knew that I am an enormous nerd, I would feel self-conscious about revealing my excitement at visiting one of the places that Christopher Columbus established as a settlement. As a corollary, I think if you are not enthused at that idea, you have either no appreciation for history or you're comatose. Either way, you would not make a good travel companion. I happen to think Columbus was a megalomaniac and his actions contributed to the deaths of thousands of indigenous people, but he is indisputably significant, and his voyages are worth knowing about, and the notion that I will be standing on land that was "The New World" makes me want to give someone a blanket of small pox. I'm kidding, I don't even think they make those anymore. After that we'll be luxuriating in a resort and enjoying all the trappings of wealthy foreigners. I'll be doing my best to pump money into the island at an alarming rate, as I'm fairly confident that the spending shock that will ensue upon our arrival will push so much money into the economy that we'll cause huge inflationary pressure that could ultimately destabilize the regime. That's how hard I'll be throwing down.

After we leave, you might want to look into the Dominican Republic--we'll make it cheap for you.

2 comments:

daniel said...

I went to Columbus Isle (in the Bahamas, supposedly where he first set foot in the new world) and stayed at the Club Med for all but one day. We went "into town" and I gotta say I was a little disappointed. There's some cross and a plaque that commemorates his landing but not much more. I hope La Republica Dominicana doesn't disappoint as much.

couturiette said...

hey! i have missed out on the pleasures of reading your blog lately due to the pressures of the adultworld, i.e. mind-numbing work. i'm glad to hear you're going to be traveling and i'm sorry i missed you, matt & rich and the rest of the boys while i was back in the city! tell rich to expect an e-mail from me soon!
xo,
your haggard former RA