Wednesday, June 04, 2008

1968 Redux: If Only Hey Jude Was #1 Again

I've been lingering in the life of a post-graduate for a few weeks now, and I've got to say I really enjoy it. The amount of time I am afforded to read is exceptional and I've been fortunate to experience an breath of subject matter--from Evan Thomas's biography of Robert Kennedy to Vanity Fair's cover story on Robert Kennedy to the book 13 Days, Robert Kennedy's memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis. So the subject matter is a bit narrow, but you'd have to forgive me for thinking that Bobby was the nominee. 40 years on, the memory of RFK beats strong in the grassroots side of the Democratic party and for over a year we have heard about the links between Bobby and Barack. Everyone from William Kristol (of a dying breed of conservative columnists who still use phrases like 'beau ideal') to Rolling Stone (better political feature writing than you'd think) to Vermont Senator Pat Leahy (of Dick Cheney's 'Go Fuck Yourself' fame) seem to have drawn this parallel over the past year. It can be said that there are certain merits to it: Kristol put it well when saying that both Obama, like Kennedy, is "running before his time but — supporters think — uniquely suited to the time." I believe that whether or not Obama is the heir to the Kennedy mantle, Edward seems to think so, is less relevant than the idea that young people who were so enamored by Bobby Kennedy express similar, if not more intense adoration for Obama. It's an example of perception being stronger than the reality. The imagery of the Kennedy campaign (Bill Eppridge's photos truly are masterful) is so powerful and is so clearly replicated in the Obama campaign that the link between these two men becomes self-fulfilling.

It will be interesting if the idealism and passion that was so much a part of Bobby Kennedy and his campaign (a campaign that was as close to a politician's personality as one has ever been) will be seen again in Obama's campaign. My hope is that Obama and McCain will run strong, clean campaigns and really try to lift the common discourse and edify the populace to make informed choices about clear and distinct world views. My further hope is that when the candidates or their surrogates inevitably deviate from the high-minded path, that some media outlet will clear aside the obfuscation and correct the distortions--not in a partisan way but in an honest one--so as to fulfill their missions of public service to educate and elevate.

After that breaks down, I hope the one who will screw up less wins.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think when all's said and done the outcome should be decided by an orangatang and a spinning wheel. An election as close as this is too important to leave to humans. If that fails we can only hope that Congress approves a third term for George W. so we can stay the course and stay at war.

Baltar said...

finally i have found a really intelligent, well written blog. American culture is something that facinates me, being scottish and not even remotely American, I find myself quietly obsessing about your politcial, religious and popular landscapes (since I myself am heavily involved with the Scottish political, religious and popular landscapes myself).

I will be linking this site from my own....

Arrgh i am so jealous, this site is the US version of what i would love to write.

My site just now is a help site designed to get people out of debt. Check it out sometime - 100 ways to clear your debt

http://howtoclearyourdebt.blogspot.com


Its a light hearted take on a serious issue - off the wall and original solutions to a serious problem....

loving this site though

The Nemesing One said...

It's truly frightening to think that anyone could look at Obama, listen to Obama, learn of his possitions on things and then think "Hmm, it's as if RFK is reincarnated". Obama is a joke and dangerous, and he will be our next president. God help us all. I'm enjoying the blog, keep up the good work.