Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Television values

This post is more of a complaint that a long joke, but I think it's important.

The past few days, I've been watching a lot of "Coupling." Aside from the show being very funny, I've also noticed how much more leeway British shows are granted. Cursing seems to be completely in bounds, and I applaud it. This comes on the heels of new technology being rolled out for parents to combat the amount of "filth" they are seeing on television. To be fair, there is a lot of stuff on network TV at 9 PM that wasn't there 10 years ago, but I always thought that is part of the reason parents are there--to parent. If you give an 11 year old his own room and a TV, you are giving him the power of choice--to watch Wild On when it airs at midnight. If you don't want your kid watching shows you don't approve of, make it harder for him to watch them. Trying to alter the content on television hurts people like me, who (probably) don't have kids and want to watch programming with some edge to it.

I don't know who told you to have a kid anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I really resent your ignorance in believing that simply keeping a tv out of a kids room will keep children from seeing the vulgar filth on tv these days. Our youth is being corrupted by these enterainment networks that only care about profit and are willing to use whatever detestable means to accomplish this, be it sex, violence, or drugs. I am truly appalled at your lack of responsibility in these matters and if you dont like America you cun giiiit out.

By haters of haters of america