Sunday, July 24, 2005

Before Dennis Haysbert did insurance commericals, he was a pretty badass President.

I just finished watching the second season of 24 on DVD. If you are a total loser and read this weblog, you'll remember my earlier post about my roommate Matt's borderline clinical infatuation with this show and Jack Bauer. I mocked him for his fervord at the mere mention of the words "real time," but the show is amazing. If you aren't watching it, and are ambivalent towards getting started, put those feelings aside and get season 1. I don't think you should buy it, because there isn't a real repeat watching value, as I've watched seasons 1, 2, and 4 and probably wouldn't pay to watch them again. That being said, the initial watching value is unreal. Even though I watched the seasons out of order (4, then 1, and now 2), I am completely addicted while I watch them. Jack Bauer is a pitch perfect character: tough, ruthless, patriotic, but intensely vulnerable. I am very good at predicting what characters will do, but it's tough to get a read on Bauer. I like that he is so unpredicatable. Sutherland deserves more awards for this character, and I hope he gets them.

More on 24 later, but someone please give Haysbert some real work. Everytime I see President Palmer in one of those commericals, it kills me. You're better than that Dennis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well well well, how the tables have turned my young, naive friend. You were so confident of your superiority while mocking your obviously more intelligent and insightful friend Matt but now you have become what you hated the most...HIM. I think if nothing else you owe him a sincere apology and at least 3000 dollars in unmarked bills placed in a brown paper bag with the name ramon salazar on it. Now besides that I agree with the primary points of the posts however you shouldn't knock dennis' all state commercials, his voice commands attention and it's respectable work. Plus he's got a new series coming out next season which he will be in so you will have plenty of chances to see him.
PS It's all deadly