Monday, July 10, 2006

The Summer Continues

Despite my best efforts to read blogs all day and eat free food at work, I am actually learning a great deal about banking this summer. For one, bankers all seem to use a four in hand knot in their ties, which makes sense because it is the most popular tie knot and because the windsor knot is the "mark of a cad" according to James Bond. I make it something of a rule to not contradict Bond, except in very specific claims like where he believes that homosexuals cannot whistle. I can't really understand that one. I also learned that most people with full time jobs spend their time in training sessions to learn about their job or in feedback meetings with their bosses. Presumably their bosses are evaluating them on their skill in a training seminar, but I'm just an intern--what do I know?

We also talk about football a lot, especially since I started work the week the World Cup started. Most bankers are big on the World Cup it seems (purely anecdotal evidence) which makes sense as high income Americans are more likely to follow football. Is that because they are smarter or bigger snobs? I could argue it's a combination of both. I have been in sporadic contact with my former roommates who got me into football, and they are probably as shocked as I was to see Zidane head butted Materazzi. Normally so classy, we saw an ugly side of the Frenchman who had a chance to lead his team and his country to a second World Cup, but he was hijacked by his emotions. Of course, I can't fully understand his state of mind, but in such an important game I would have hoped for more poise from Zidane. I am, of course, happy for Italy at large and Fabio Grosso in particular, because I saw some footage of him playing for Inter a few months ago and just liked him. Del Pierro as well--richly deserved.

Here's hoping for a smooth second half of my internship, and many more free meals to come.

No comments: