Sunday, July 16, 2006

This Week with George Stephanoindianapolis

I am an avid watcher of "This Week" on ABC every Sunday morning. It's one of the many things that my father did while I was growing up that have now become a part of my routine--a reflex I feel every week. Sometimes George brings out the big guns, usually when the world is falling apart: George Will (a regular), Cokie Roberts (silliest first name in news), Fareed Zakaria (my favorite political writer) and Sam Donaldson (a face that defies explanation). The reason I love it so much is that it feeds my desire to know what's going on while avoiding shrill screaming. Also, I harbor some long-standing illusion that Fareed Zakaria and I will become friends one day and discuss global affairs and the best recipe for cooking ducks, or whatever Fareed Zakaria does in his limited free time. Erudite without being snobbish, the panel of This Week makes me glad to live in a country that still has intelligent debate.

No comments: