Tuesday, November 28, 2006

How do you even ignite bones?

Libraries are dark and somber places by their nature, and never more so than during finals time. Here at NYU, the crunch begins immediately after Thanksgiving. Students of all stripes--Finance, History, Film, Nursing--are thrown headfirst into mountains of papers and a seemingly endless gauntlet of exams. In many ways I am exceptional, but in this arena I am not. I am faced with a daunting array of exercises designed only to needle me and break my will. Unfortunately for my exams, I am made of stronger stuff than candy and marshmallow.

I was feeling slightly uneasy about one of my assignments when I was taking the train back to Manhattan on Sunday, but the strangest thing put me at ease: the song "Fix You" by Coldplay. I'm not what you would call a big Coldplay fan, but I do like what they stand for--namely being British, posh, stylish, making relaxing music and marrying film stars. I also like that Chris Martin is friends with Ricky Gervais and has the ability to make fun of himself. I think you should listen to the song "Fix You" while walking down the street of a major city at night. It feels like the way the song was meant to be picturized, and if you're anything like me, a steady wave of calm will wash over you and bathe you in its peace. If I subscribed to this sort of thing, I would say it was an almost religious experience. I can't articulate how it felt, but I can say I wouldn't mind if it happened again.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

You're such a softie. It's why you're a royalist.

couturiette said...

this post verges on sentimentality! shocking....are you developing actual feelings???

i still really like coldplay, i keep running into people here who hate them, but "a rush of blood to the head" is always a great listen to my ears.