Friday, May 29, 2009

The lede for an article that is guaranteed to make me roll my eyes and not read it

Rik Hertzberg, who is a very well-respected columnist, has a blog posting on The New Yorker's website that I laughed at. I don't know quite why this was deemed relevant for social or political analysis.

Everybody has been saying that Obama is like Spock. What struck me more forcefully, though, was how much this movie's James T. Kirk resembles John S. McCain

Maybe this is just me, but I have very little tolerance for diving incredibly deep into pop culture arcana and trying to draw out complex, and too often ludicrously tenuous, links to "real world" events and people. The Wire is meant to be dissected and the allegories are intentional. But drawing links between Senator McCain and James Kirk and the current political landscape? Spare me.kirkmccain.jpg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They don't even look alike. That guy on the right is so much hotter.

Keylizgiova said...

INTERESTING BLOG

les lunettes de soleil lady said...

Safe Order lunettes de soleil hommes tres agreable tout comme decrit merci.