Sunday, April 17, 2005

College v. High School

When I graduated from High School, I left it behind. I haven't been back since that day in June. I haven't spoken to any of my teachers. I haven't made any earnest efforts to contact anyone who works there. A great deal of this is by design. I was so anxious to come to college and experience all that it had to offer, that I didn't want to miss out on college by looking backwards. In this pursuit, it appears that I neglected my High School, and ostensibly, my hometown. To many of my friends in High School, this is a grevious offense. Some of them feel that I am purposefully ignoring them because I am too good for them, or some such nonsense. In truth, it didn't really cross my mind to call them all the time, or make plans to hang out when I am in town for 1-2 days. That probably sounds horribly selfish, but it's true. There are only a few people from my High School that I take pains to contact. In generous terms, it numbers around 10. I don't really see this as a problem, however, but rather a natural consequence of college.
I feel I should qualify this by saying that I had a great time in High School. For the most part, I had good teachers who cared about their jobs, I had a good group of friends who supported me, and I managed to manipulate enough of the High School infrastructure that I got away with late papers, being late to class, late submission of community service forms, and late submission of college applications. There are about one or two teachers that I want to stay in touch with, but outside them I am not really interested. I am incredibly glad that there are a lot of kids that I knew in High School that I don't have to see again. Most of the people I am happy to never cross again were self-centered and arrogant tools, and a lot of them used to whine about they were so much smarter than everyone, how they were so socially awkward but good-hearted, how the jocks stole the girls that were so sweet and who Lamey McPoser admired from afar, and brag about obscure music and esoteric tv shows that nobody cared about. In short, they were hipsters, I just didn't know it then. I have mercifully left those people behind.
Once I got to college, I was meeting tons of people on a daily basis. I made friends with a lot of them, and we grew very close very fast. By December, I would say I was as close/closer to my college friends as I was to almost everyone I knew in High school, save 3-5 people. By living with these people, it had put our friendship in a time compressor--it felt like we had known each other forever. By now, as the year comes to a close, I am remembering all the kids in my high school who I thought I'd never see again, but realize that there is no real escaping them. It is easy when we are all scattered across the country, but when shoved into a town of roughly 3 entertainment options and about 2 diners, there is very little chance that I can effectively avoid them. I wonder if I can ignore them--I mean really ignore them--or if I'll have to resort to being actively hostile. There is a good chance a lot of my exchanges with those I've ignored will play out something like this:

Weird Guy/Girl: Hey, how's it going? You live in New York now right? How is that? (Girl-->)Oh my god, I totally want to live in New York. (Guy-->)I'll bet you see so many hot chicks. We should meet up some time.
Me: Look Weird Guy/Girl, I didn't like you then, I don't like you now. The only difference now is that I don't see you every day in English class, so I don't have to pretend. Have a nice life, and hopefully this is the last time I'll speak to you in a non-emergency situation (read: This place is on fire or I'm suffering from pneumothorax right here in Applebee's.)

It is going to be a very interesting summer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kind of an upsetting post, being as how I was best friends with this guy from age 10-18. but we all make choices and go down our respective paths and change in whatever manner we choose.

Anonymous said...

One problem...as one who is socially awkward yet good-hearted, I find it unfair to come here and see this unsympathetic tirade against the socially-awkward yet good-hearted being that YOU TOLD ME to read this. In seriousness though, I found this entry to be intriguing, being that I personally couldn't escape High School if I wanted, as it surrounds me on a daily basis. And I don't want to assume priveledge by saying something like "Oh man, I feel lucky that I'm one of those 3-5 people...can't wait to chill this summer" not because I'm afraid it won't happen but because this is something I respect. In all likelihood, this will be the last contact, however remote it may be, that we will ever have. Toodles motherfucker.

-Dan

Anonymous said...

yea good riddance if your too good/busy listening to turkish pop to hang out with the likes of alcoholics and other wannabe disfunctionals and talk about futurama then good night. aww hell i cant be like that.... you live in NY right? ill bet theres lots of hot chicks there. also cheers, im having a beer for you right now. im not joking, its a keystone light. ;)

bitingsarcasm said...

Mencher, the fact that you thought this may be about you speaks volumes about the shittiness of Yale's educational system.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...this msut be about me either that or its my severe lack of self confidence kicking in again

Anonymous said...

i think im gonna take a leap of faith here and go another route than that which mencher has chosen, by identifying myself as hopefully not one of those "forgotten" people, but then i realize, im number 4 in the 4 people to post on this from high school...and 4 is between 3-5. Point proven. Anyway, Nitin, we've always had fun times, and I'm truly honored to be one of the people you still call when you're home...so on that note I "cant wait to chill this summer and how hot r the babes in the city?"

Anonymous said...

....and darch sucks