Monday, April 11, 2005

My love of Turkish pop

I think it was in 1999, during a visit to India, that I first was introduced to the symphonic genius of Turkish pop singer Tarkan. He had a chart topping smash in the song "Simarik" which I believe translates to "Kiss Kiss" or "Stolen Kiss." You might have heard it covered by a variety of artists, but Holly Valance popularized it in English. I don't know a single word in this song, and even when I looked up an English translation, it confused me more than people who like Sean Hannity. If you are willing to overlook abject bemusement, I think this is a finely crafted pop song. I don't mean to use "pop song" as a pejorative description, just that "Simarik" isn't meant to be exceedingly deep, and is mercifully free of affectation (read: Coldplay.) It is a fun and free song, or at least I think it is. There is something amusing about listening to foreign music, because not only do I know nothing about the lyrics, I don't know anything about the singer. I saw the music video for this song on Indian MTV a few times, but I am not privy to any other information about our beloved Tarkan. Apparently, he is a huge star and is recording an English album due out this Spring, but I've never heard from him since I saw him on Indian MTV 6 years ago. If you can get this song, I highly endorse it. Maybe listen to it while you are alone, as it is impossible to be blue when some faceless Turkish guy is spouting lyrics like:
Seni gidi findik kiran
Yilani deliginden cikaran
Kaderim puskullu belam
Yakalarsam (kiss kiss)

Just go with it.

No comments: