Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Brave New World

Blogger has given me a new version, but I am not clear on what any of the new features mean or if they are even useful. Despite this, I dutifully updated because when it comes to Google, I try all of their products and am a loyal foot soldier in their army.

I saw The Departed this past weekend, and like every review you've read, it was awesome. I loved the biopics Marty, but I'm glad we're back in gangland. This movie is in many ways a return to form for all involved. It marks a return to crime drama for Scorsese, Jack Nicholson's is playing twisted evildoers again, and the reemergence of the long dormant, but much missed Boston accents of Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg. Martin Sheen has one too, but I never really associated him with Boston, but rather with idealized Democratic Presidents. Damon and Wahlberg's accents are, in a word, resplendent. DiCaprio's intensity is bursting in every frame--he looks as though he is constantly about to snap, but I must say that Alec Baldwin's humor and Mark Wahlberg's savagely hilarious profanity were underrated aspects. William Monahan's insults recall a Mamet-like ferocity that makes me wish I liked my friends a little bit less, if only to allow me to obliterate them as seen on screen.

I have been helping my friend Brady with a script that he's writing, which allows me to see how many "Arrested Development" and "The Office" style awkward moments I can cram into a 10-12 page screenplay. The answer is a lot, but I really believe Brady has written a fantastic script. I was very interested to see how the writing process works for the screen, as it seems to be heavily predicated on showing the drafts to as many people as possible, gathering as many suggestions on pacing, joke placement and length, fears of repetition, balance of characters, etc., and distilling them all while maintaining the idea of the piece. It is a task I do not envy, and was glad to help in any way I can while maximizing the amount of credit I will receive from it.

Co-writer credit. I'd like my name in Helvetica in the credits Brady. It has a quiet elegance.

No comments: