Saturday, October 14, 2006

Too Many Good Men

It's long been a source of embarrassment for me that I don't own the movie "A Few Good Men", because I've seen it somewhere on the order of 12,563,235 times. The first time, I was about 11 or 12 years old and I don't think I had the faintest idea what was going on. I was just responding to a few snippets of funny dialogue and the intensity of the scenes. Now, as a news addict and ardent evangeliser of Aaron Sorkin, I appreciate the film in so many ways. It really shaped how I look at the military and the way they conduct themselves, because let's face facts--we need them on that wall. This was his first big success--the play he wrote that was turned into this movie, and I firmly believe it is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Even my wholehearted efforts to purchase the DVD are thwarted at every turn, as I can almost never find it in stores. Either it has been out for so long their is no space for it on the shelf and it has been squeezed by the likes of the insipid trash that is Nanny 911, or it is so staggeringly popular that it is constantly out of stock. But now, thanks to the wonder of the Internet, I need not agonize over the glaring omission of this film in my collection. Instead, I can just watch the best scene of the movie on YouTube over and over until my eyes fall out of my skull and everyone ignores me for fear that I'll tell them (again) that this scene is so masterfully written that it practically defies the natural order of our great and glorious universe.

I'm off to see if I can find YouTube clips of "The American President." If I have, you'll be among the first to know.

7 comments:

couturiette said...

is 'the american president' the one where michael douglas is the president who's trying to jibe being 'the president' with having a quote 'normal, nice guy social life' i.e. a relationship with annette benning? if so, wow. that's pretty sensitive stuff for you, i never would have guessed you'd be such a fan of that flick, of all people. feeling extra emotional lately? ;)

bitingsarcasm said...

I always skip any scene that has even the faintest whiff of emotion.

couturiette said...

well, ok, i believe you. and by believe you, i mean that i think you sit cuddled up under an afghan, eating Ben & Jerry's just praying that Douglas and Benning will be able to resolve their differences and just make it work.

btw i have suddenly been so homesick over the last couple of days! i don't know what's with me, i was totally feeling it here last week. aaah!!!!! manhattan, glorious manhattan.

bitingsarcasm said...

When you say "cuddled up under an afghan" do you mean I am cuddled up under a person from Afghanistan? Because that would be pretty amazing.

As for homesickness, Animal House said it best, "My suggestion to you is to start drinking heavily." That, or you are misreading the fact that you miss me as homesickness. It's textbook.

Beth said...

My IP address may permanently be blocked from visiting your site again, but I've actually never seen A Few Good Men. Perhaps I should get out more. Like to the video store.

couturiette said...

lol haha clearly the only reason manhattan holds such a dear place in my heart is because YOU live there, not because of the great restaurants, bars, shops or energy of the city. clearly.

i have already tried to substitute my longing for living in a city with massive drinking, but it's not as effective as i thought it would be. neither has been throwing away money on expensive lingerie. i must need to graduate to greater levels of excess.

Beth said...

oh dear...! i was only being sarcastic, and thinking you might block me bc i'd never seen a few good men. lol. oh i'll definitely be back. thanks for your kind words! you're dear :)