Wednesday, March 30, 2005

New Slang

I have listened to the song "New Slang" by The Shins for the past hour as I've been writing a paper. This song has some haunting, eerily soothing quality about it, and I can't quite understand why I like it so much. I feel like I've heard songs like this one before, yet there is something uniquely captivating about it. I first heard it in commercials for "Garden State," but I didn't know who The Shins were and how to go about finding out who sang that song that goes "oooh oooh oooh." I'm amazed nobody understood what song I was talking about when I wailed that part at them. It was only when I heard someone play some music by The Shins that I recalled that song I liked so much. Now, with it resting firmly in my iTunes player, I can listen to it ad infinitum as I compose my weird writing assignment and read essays by E.B. White.

If anyone knows why it is called "New Slang" please tell me--I'm curious.

No comments: