Tuesday, March 29, 2005

What did Ashton Kutcher ever do to you?

I was one of the few kids in my high school to never own a trucker hat. it seemed kind of silly to want to imitate Ashton Kutcher to the point of wearing a "Jesus is my Homeboy" mesh hat. That being said, I like Ashton Kutcher and defend him frequently against people who call him a vapid pretty-boy. For starters, Ashton Kutcher was a biochemical engineering major at the University of Iowa. Now, I don't know what the hell that is, but it sounds complicated and like the kind of thing that requires lab coats and short hair. Secondly, Ashton Kutcher doesn't really come across as a jerk. This is something I find increasingly rare in celebs these days, and while it doesn't bother me too much that spoiled, rich people act like tools, I think we should reward Ashton for not being that way. Finally, I think Punk'd is hilarious. Even when the actual prank is poorly executed, I still laugh at some member of Good Charlotte cursing out a tow-truck driver or something, mostly because I think Good Charlotte sucks and deserve anything negative that happens to them. Overall, Ashton Kutcher doesn't do anything that justifies people thinking he sucks. Or at least that is what I thought before I saw the commericals for "Guess Who?"

"Guess Who?" is a remake of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" which is mentioned in the same sentence as words like 'seminal' and 'breakthrough.' I thought it strange that Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac were doing an inverted version of the movie. The message isn't problematic, but the movie looks straight up unbearable. Nothing in the preview made me want to see the movie, except to find out if the girl in it is actually African American, or if she is Dominican as I read in some reviews. I can't decide what this movie is trying to say--that race tension still exists in America, but if you look at people as individuals and see past their skin color, you can can meet some truly wonderful people? If this is the case, the movie is completely useless and not funny. Why do studios keep greenlighting these movies? When is somebody going to make an actual engaging, thought provoking movie with good writing and convincing acting? Oh, I forgot; nobody makes those movies anymore. For every 1 movie I see that is even kind of good, I see previews for 5 that are awful.

I think we should hand over all American Film powers to a oligarchical collective controlled by;
Luke and Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell, and others of that ilk. At the very least, I'm assured escapist cinema with lines like, "it's a deep burn...it's so deep."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually don't like letting people know that I spy on their journals, but I'll make an exception because you addressed a topic that I'm very passionate about: Ashton Kutcher.

Mr. Kutcher is a total jerk. I come to this conclusion becuase he plays one on TV as his character "Hyde" in "That 70s Show. In addition, Kutcher burned down no less than eight nursing homes filled with, in addition to old people, nuns and kittens...just last week. I once personally heard someone say that Kutcher hates Jews, Blacks, Italians, the Irish, Canadians, and war veterans. Kutcher's great-grandfather was also a founding member of the KKK, the Nazi Party, the Black Panthers, and the Republican Party.

I also have a valid opinion about film. Movie studios are in the business of making money through film production. That is why so much crap comes out - the major market (teenager and twentysomethings) will see anything with a star in it. People are stupid, it's that simple. If I was a teenage girl, I would love to see a stupid comedy with Ashton Kutcher and Bernic Mac in it. There are producers, directors, and writers who all are in the business of making *films* so to speak. Currently, Scorsese, Linklater, PT Anderson, Wes Anderson, Charlie Kaufman, Clint Eastwood, Cameron Crowe, Lars von Trier...etc, are in that part of the business. Your job as an intelligent media consumer is to recognize the crap and ignore it. Studios have, do, and will always flood the market with crap because it makes money. I could go on about this but you get the point. I should get my own blog because this is a ridicuously long comment so I'll seeya. adios

bitingsarcasm said...

Not to nitpick, but Kutcher doesn't play Hyde on "That 70s Show," he plays Kelso. Hyde is played by Danny Masterson.