Monday, September 26, 2005

Indefensible

While I was doing my economics homework I was listening to the radio via my iTunes player. I find it's an easy way to hear music I wouldn't usually hear, and sometimes I get some real gems. This time, I saw the link for WNYU, my beloved university's radio station. Feeling a swell of pride, I click on it.

I must say, I really love NYU. I like the classes, the faculty, the facilities, the students, New York. I have no regrets about choosing NYU, and I will frequently defend NYU against what I feel is sometimes unfair bitching. So, it was fair to say that when I started to listen to WNYU, I really wanted to like it. What I found was some of the most uncomfortable radio ever.

At a school like MIT, or Cal Tech, I would not be so taken aback by a radio host who was stumbling and mumbling like he had a ham sandwich in his mouth. But NYU is sort of renowned for its performing arts program. Is it too much to expect that someone who has a show on NYU's radio station would be somehow familiar with the concept of "dead air" and "speaking clearly?" This young man gave the impression like he had been thrown on the radio 30 seconds ago, and told "Do a radio show right now, or I'll kill your mother." In all fairness, that may be the case, but even if it were, you'd probably do a better job. Some people need the pressure. I listened for about 2 minutes, felt a tightness in my chest, and had to switch in case this bad radio gave me a heart attack. I hope for the sake of the university's reputation and my own health that someone improves the NYU radio station. I'll pay you.

Well, not really. But someone else might.

No comments: