Monday, September 19, 2005

Man (almost) on Fire

At about 11 AM, I was riding the NYU bus back to my dorm, because it's free and I have no money. While the subway is less crowded and runs more frequently, the NYU bus drops me off in front of my building, a huge plus. I was reading something for my Econ class, and we'd only been moving for a few minutes, but the driver stopped on Broadway just north of Houston street and told everyone to get off. I didn't really know what was happening, but he seemed serious and there was a crowd of people around the bus. I step outside and glance over to where everyone else is looking.

Right there, directly under where I was sitting, was a fire. The bus was on fire.

Luckily, the fire was small, everyone was off the bus, and calls to the right people were being made. Another NYU bus came by and they called someone using their radios. I was very curious as to what was going on, and wanted to find out more. However, as anyone who has seen a Jerry Bruckheimer movie knows, things on fire tend to blow up, especially when that thing is a few tons and has very large tanks of combustible fuel. I walk south on Broadway, but keep looking back to see the smoke getting larger, and people start to run. They've probably seen Bad Boys too and wanted to get the hell out of there. I haven't heard anything about it since, and hope everything is alright.

I have another class later today, but I think I'll just walk.

No comments: